;

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Upcoming tvN-2017] Hwayuki  (Read 373 times)

elfaIQ

• Chingu
  • Keong: 1
  • JiJi shipper 😘 BoYoo Couple 😚
    • elfaIQ
[Upcoming tvN-2017] Hwayuki
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:52:27 am »

Hwayuki

Drama: Hwayuki (working title)
Revised romanization: Hwayuki
Hangul: 화유기
Director: Park Hong-Kyun
Writer: Hong Jung-Eun, Hong Mi-Ran
Network: tvN
Episodes:
Release Date: December, 2017 --
Runtime:
Language: Korean
Plot
A reinterpretation of Chinese novel “Journey to the West” into the present days with a romantic-fantasy twist.

Notes
Cha Seung-Won has been offered the lead male role and he is considering the offer positively.

Cast
TBA

http://asianwiki.com/Hwayuki

YJ's bodyguards 😘😘😘

elfaIQ

• Chingu
    • elfaIQ
Re: [Upcoming tvN-2017] Hwayuki
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:53:47 am »

Cha Seung-won courted for Hong sisters fantasy romance on tvN
by javabeans

This would be an interesting reunion: Cha Seung-won (Hwajung) has met with the Hong sisters writing team (Hong Jung-eun, Hong Mi-ran) and is in talks to headline their new fantasy-romance drama, which is being considered for a Friday-Saturday slot on cable station tvN. The drama is based on the Chinese classic novel Journey to the West (Seoyugi in Korean) and reimagined as a modern story, and will be titled Hwayugi. (No explanation has been given on the title; it’s a pun on Journey to the West but I’m not sure in what sense without more explanation.)
My knowledge of Journey to the West is limited, but it seems like the Hong sisters will be taking a sideways spin at the tale rather than going at it head-on. The classic Journey to the West is centered around five main characters, with a monk on a pilgrimage to India accompanied by disciples/companions, each of whom is atoning for sins committed in past lives. The mischievous Monkey King, Sun Wukong, wears a gold ring around his head that can control him; the Pig is the fighter with a big appetite; Sandy is a water demon who has a quieter role; and Yulong is the son of the dragon king who appears as a horse.
In this 2017 modernized version, the monkey character is depraved and the monk full of snobbery and materialism (perhaps in lovable ways? The Hongs do love to play with lovably flawed leads). The story is described as “finding the light in a dark world overrun with evil spirits.” It’ll have both horror-thriller elements and comedic romantic ones, which makes me think of the Hongs’ drama Master’s Sun, which is one of the better associations to have with their past works.
In Hwayugi, Cha Seung-won is up to play a character named Woo Hwi-chul, who is based on the Bull Demon King character, Sun Wuokong’s sworn brother. Woo Hwi-chul is a successful businessman who is the object of others’ envy, and the image of an utter gentleman.
On the one hand, I really loved Cha Seung-won when he worked with the writers before on their hilarious rom-com Best Love, back in 2011. While Cha had plenty of star power before that drama, the show did revitalize his image as a comedic leading man, and I think that was the Hong sisters near the top of their writing game, which had a long list of hits: Delightful Girl Chun-hyang, My Girl, You’re Beautiful, My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho. But then came Big and Warm and Cozy, and now I find myself pretty uncertain what to expect from the pair. Will the last two years have given them time to find their mojo? Or will we get another lackluster rom-com with nonsensical plots and character logic? I really hope the writers have found that lovin’ feelin’ again and will be back strong.
PD Park Hong-kyun of Best Love and Queen Seon-deok is attached to direct. Hwayugi is looking at a December premiere on tvN. - drambeans -

YJ's bodyguards 😘😘😘

elfaIQ

• Chingu
    • elfaIQ
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:18:30 am »

Park Bo-Gum offered lead role in tvN drama series “Hwayuki”

Park Bo-Gum has been offered a lead role in upcoming tvN drama series “Hwayuki.” Cha Seung-Won has already received an offered to play a co-lead character and he is still “positively considering” the offer. Park Bo-Gum is also considering his offer. The drama series is based on classic Chinese novel “Journey to the West,” but set in the present day and with a romantic twist. The screenplay will be scripted by Hong Jung-Eun and Hong Mi-Ran. If Park Bo-Gum accepts, he will play Son O-Gong (the character of Sun Wukong in original novel “Journey to the West”). If Cha Seung-Won accepts he will play King Wooma (Bull Demon King).

“Hwayuki” is tentatively scheduled to air from December, 2017 in South Korea. - asianwiki -

YJ's bodyguards 😘😘😘

windparis

• Tomodachi
  • Keong: 0
  • lucky lucky
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:51:05 pm »

Oh Yeon-seo up to romance Lee Seung-gi in Hong sisters drama Hwayugi
The sky’s the limit for the comedic potential of this pairing if it happens: Oh Yeon-seo (My Sassy Girl) is considering an offer to star in the new Hong sisters fantasy romance drama Hwayugi opposite Lee Seung-gi (You’re All Surrounded), who is up for the leading role. The new tvN series is a contemporary reworking of the classic Chinese novel Journey to the West with a fanciful romance twist.

The horror-fantasy-romance is set in modern-day Seoul, which happens to be filled with darkness and evil spirits. The heroine was born with a monk’s calling to rid the world of these demons, and her life will take on an extraordinary and supernatural dynamic when she crosses paths with the hero, Sun Wukong the Monkey King. The Monkey King is a mischievous minor god who’s been exiled to the human realm because of his pride. The two characters will bicker and butt heads, but they’ll team up to fight the dark forces and end up falling in love.

Cha Seung-won is considering an offer to costar as the Bull Demon King, and in recent casting reports, it says he’ll be at odds with the hero. That could make him anything from a villain to one half of a reluctant bromantic pairing (remember You’re All Surrounded?), so we’ll have to wait and see what shape his character takes on.

I like Oh Yeon-seo’s spunky comic style, which I can already picture opposite Lee Seung-gi’s. My Sassy Girl was certainly over-the-top as a show on the whole, but she was completely committed to going for the laughs. I still think Come Back, Ajusshi was her best, where she played a woman possessed by the ghost of an ajusshi gangster; she was pee-your-pants funny in that. With this casting, I’m expecting wacky, outlandish humor from Hwayugi now, so I hope that’s what’s in store!

Hwayugi is planning to air in tvN’s weekend slot this December.

source:dramabeans

the charming noona

• Forum Machi
  • You're All Surrounded by n with this guy ^_^
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:06:06 pm »

emg seung gi dh pasti ? kykny belum deh

KMY to YSJ : we are talking about love with body language not in words ^_^ thx who made this art so beautiful cr :psarah lisol

windparis

• Tomodachi
  • lucky lucky
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:19:53 am »

emg seung gi dh pasti ? kykny belum deh

gak tahu juga tp blm ada penolakan dari LSG

windparis

• Tomodachi
  • lucky lucky
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:14 am »

Lee Hong-ki considers joining Hwayugi as top star

This drama is turning into a Hong sisters reunion tour. We’ve already got two potential reunions in line for their new fantasy romance Hwayugi, with offers out to My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho’s Lee Seung-gi and Best Love’s Cha Seung-won, and now an offer is out to You’re Beautiful’s Lee Hong-ki to join the cast as a womanizing top star.

The fantasy-horror-romance is a fanciful reworking of the classic Chinese novel Journey to the West, in which the monk and the Monkey King will team up to fight the evil spirits that have invaded present-day Seoul. Lee Seung-gi has been offered the starring role as Sun Wukong the Monkey King, a powerful minor god who’s been exiled to the human realm. Oh Yeon-seo (My Sassy Girl) is up to play the heroine, a descendant of monks who’s been given the calling to rid the world of demons. And Cha Seung-won has been offered the part of Lee Seung-gi’s rival, the Bull Demon King.

If he signs on to join them, FT Island’s Lee Hong-ki will play the pig monster Zhu Bajie. In this adaptation, the pig monster has the power to seduce women and lives a cushy life as a top star. He even used his powers to get there, since all it takes is ten minutes of unleashing his magic to get all of the women on the planet to fall for him. LOL. This power does have a dark side though, because he uses it to suck the life force out of the women who worship him.

But since Journey to the West is all about mischievous characters going on a journey of enlightenment, it’s safe to expect some changes in store for the top star. We’re told that he’ll survive thanks to the mercy of the heroine, and learn to use his fame and sociability to help her on her quest. He’ll also have a hyung-dongsaeng relationship with the hero, which is going to be freaking adorable. I hope they sing duets together.

Hwayugi is being prepped for tvN’s weekend slot this December.

source: dramabeans
Pages: [1]   Go Up